Installing the dLibra server
Preparations for the dLibra server installation
In order to install and run the dLibra server, the following software needs to be installed:
- Java Development Kit (JDK) - version 1.6, available from Sun Microsystems Inc.. The software must be installed on every computer on which the dLibra server or the server installer will be run. It is important that the environment variable JAVA_HOME points to the JDK directory and the PATH environment variable points to the bin folder inside the JDK.
- Apache Ant - version 1.7.0 or higher, available from Apache. The software must be installed on the computer on which the server installer will be run. It is important that the environment variable ANT_HOME points to the directory where the Apache Ant is installed and the PATH environment variable points to the bin folder inside the directory where the Apache Ant is installed.
- Database - necessary to run the dLibra server. Currently the following databases are supported: Oracle 9.2.x or higher, PostgreSQL 8.x or higher and MySQL 5.x. If necessary, it is also possible to use an embedded Derby database instead of the external one, see below.
The database that will be used by dLibra must be configured to use UTF-8 encoding or equivalent.
In case of the MySQL database it may be necessary to change the default method for character comparison using UTF-8. More information can be found in Incorrect comparison...
Using the embedded database
It is possible to have dLibra use an embedded Apache Derby database instead of an external one. Please note, however, that an external database offers higher efficiency and stability in case of high loads. For this reason the use of the embedded database is recommended only for demonstration or test purposes.
The installation package content
The installation package is available at the dLibra webpage. To download the package it is necessary to provide the username and password, which can be obtained by contacting the dLibra technical support.
The installation package contains the following folders with files related to the dLibra system:
- binaries- contains the executables of various system components. The subfolders are:
- dlibra-client-publication-files-uploader - a tool for adding files to a planned publication.
- dlibra-server - dLibra server.
- dlibra-webapp - the reader's application (WWW).
- install-sql – contains SQL scripts necessary for initialization of each database supported.
- migrate-sql – contains SQL scripts necessary for updating the database to the current version in case of updates.
The installation package contains also the dLibra installation files:
- lib - installer libraries.
- resources - file and image installer resources.
- install.bat, install.sh - scripts for running the installer under Windows or Linux/Unix.
- antinstall-config.xml, build.xml - installer configuration files.
Furthermore, in the root of the installation package there are 2 files:
- sample-server.properties - configuration template for dLibra server installer.
- sample-webapp.properties - configuration template for dLibra reader's application installer.
Before starting the installation process, it is necessary to prepare a configuration file with installation parameters. The file should contain a list of entries, each of which in a form <parameter>=<value>, each in a separate line. The template for the configuration file with sample parameters is available as sample-server.properties located in the root folder of the installation ZIP archive. Detailed explanation of the installation paramerers can be found in Appendix A. dLibra server configurations parameters.
A common error is to leave whitespace characters at the end of the parameter line. These characters are not ignored, so when provided by accident (for example when specifying passwords), they can leave to unexpected results.
The installation process
Before starting the installation process make sure that the required 3rd party software has been installed.
Running the installer
To run the installer please type „ant server" in the directory in which the installation archive has been unpacked. It is important to first install the dLibra sever, and then the reader's application.
During the install process, the folliowing information will need to be provided:
Please enter configuration file name:
Provide the full path to the previously prepared configuration file.
Please enter target directory for this installation:
Provide the directory in which the dLibra server will be installed.
After the installation process has fininished, in the target directory there will be a subdirectory dlibra-server-5.x.x with the dLibra server ready to be run. Additionally, at the end of the installation process, a reader's application parameter will be provided which can later be used as a psPasswd parameter when installing the reader's application.
Moving the server directory
The subfolder dlibra-server-5.x.x contains the dLibra server. It can safely be moved to another location or renamed.