Users may add files to the project in the following ways:
- upload of jpg or png files,
- upload of zip archive which contains jpg or png files
- import of files from the document published in a digital library.
Next chapter presents a wider description of the third mechanism.
Files import from the document published in a digital library
The mechanism of files import from the existing publication uses OAI identifiers and Digital Libraries Federation portal (http://fbc.pionier.net.pl/id) service. Identifier is used by DLF to set down the physical location of given document and lead the user to it.
VTL uses OAI identifiers to import files from a given document to the transcription project. In order to do it you should press “Add new files” and then “Import files from existing publication”. In a form which appears next, you should enter the OAI identifier. This operation is a Long running task and the result of it will be sent by e-mail after its completion.
This mechanism has its limitations, currently only the DjVu publications import from certain digital libraries based on dLibra software is supported.
The files importat is possible with following digital libraries:
- The Digital Library of Wielkopolska, http://www.wbc.poznan.pl
- Lower Silesian Digital Library, http://www.dbc.wroc.pl
- Małopolska Digital Library, http://mbc.malopolska.pl
- Silesian Digital Library, http://www.sbc.org.pl/dlibra
- Jagiellonian Digital Library, http://jbc.bj.uj.edu.pl/dlibra
New libraries will be successively added in the immediate future.
How to create a project with files from a digital library?
1. Virtual Transcription Laboratory enables users to create a project by using files already published and existing in digital libraries. It still has some limitations, currently only the DjVu publications import from certain digital libraries based on dLibra software is supported. The mechanism of files importation from the existing publication uses OAI identifiers and the service of recognizing those identifiers shared in the Digital Libraries Federation portal (http://fbc.pionier.net.pl/id). On the identifier basis, DLF is able to set down the physical location of given document and lead the user to it.
2. How to do it? The beginning of work on project is the same as in creating a project based on your own files imported from your disc. After adding a new project and its metadata, files can be added on the project page. To describe next steps we use an exemplary publication from the Silesian Digital Library (http://www.sbc.org.pl/dlibra/docmetadata?id=58994&from=publication) entitled „Sprawozdanie z Czynności Polskiego Towarzystwa Filologicznego” and originally published in 1927.
3. The difference is the next step, after pressing the “Add new files” option, the screen with possible ways of adding files appears. Then instead of “Add files” choose “Import files from existing publication”.
4. You should add an OAI identifier of publication in the box that appears afterwards.
You can find it in the publication description in the digital library which the publication comes from.
5. After pasting the OAI Identifier, you should approve the operation by pressing “Import”. Then you will be switched to the Project Page with a message about long running tasks related to the project and that the results of them will be sent by e-mail after their completion.
You should not wait for the change of this communique, because it will not change even if the task is completed. After receiving a validation e-mail, you may just refresh the Project Page or click the link sent in the e-mail message. This operation is fulfilled as a Long running task.
6. Further action connected with the project does not vary from the one described in case of adding your own files. All steps are described here: Introduction to Virtual Transcription Laboratory